The Charter Oak Capital Campaign: Building A Campus Dedicated to Social Justice Through the Arts
In 2022, Charter Oak will break ground on a new campus that will include the original historic structure, a recently acquired property next door at 25 Charter Oak Avenue, and a transformed landscape.
The Charter Oak Capital Campaign:
Building A Campus Dedicated to Social Justice Through the Arts
To fully realize our mission and meet the skyrocketing demand for our nationally recognized programs, Charter Oak Cultural Center embarked upon an ambitious capital campaign in 2017.
The original plan was to restore and renovate the iconic synagogue structure we call home. Over these last four years, our vision has expanded thanks to the generosity of our donors. In 2022, Charter Oak will break ground on a campus that includes the original historic structure, a recently acquired property next door at 25 Charter Oak Avenue, and a transformed landscape. The campus will allow Charter Oak to meet the skyrocketing demand for its Youth Arts Institute and social justice programming. Renovated performance and exhibition spaces will allow for expanded visual and performing arts events, shows and exhibits.
In August 2021, Charter Oak reached a critical milestone by raising 90 percent of the dollars we need to complete this $4.5 million project. Consider donating now to help us cross the finish line (please enter “Capital Campaign” in the designation field when you make your gift). If you are interested in making a multi-year commitment, please reach out to Charter Oak Managing Director Laurie Leader at 860-310-2580 or LaurieL@charteroakcenter.org.
CAPITAL CAMPAIGN COMMITTEE
Merrill Mandell, Campaign Chair
Joyce Mandell, Honorary Campaign Chair
Help Us Reach Our Goal!
Consider making a donation to support this vital work. 80 cents of every dollar will go to support the capital project and 20 cents will go to a building reserve fund. Please enter “Capital Campaign” in the Designation field when making your gift.
Together with input from our community of students, parents, faculty, donors, and civic and business leaders, we have crafted a transformative construction plan with three goals.
Create State of the Art Instructional and Performance Spaces
The new campus will include a number of restored, expanded and new instructional and performance spaces including:
- Six new state of the art classrooms and two break out rooms will allow Charter Oak to expand the number of Hartford children and youth served in its nationally recognized Youth Arts Institute from 1,000 to 1,500 by 2023.
- The restored Sanctuary for The Performing Arts, the spiritual center of Charter Oak, will offer more seating, an expanded stage and state of the art lighting and acoustics.
- The Sanctuary’s Choir Loft will be home to a new exhibition space, telling the story of the first synagogue built in Connecticut. The space will also be used for classes and lectures.
- Charter Oak’s visual arts exhibition and instructional space, the Gallery for Visual Arts, will be expanded, fully renovated and updated with the latest technology.
Honor Our History
One of the goals of the project is to restore Charter Oak’s 1876 historic synagogue building to its original 19th century splendor; including:
- More than 20 additional stained glass windows
- The ceiling, trusses, cornice, and columns will be restored through the use of polychrome stenciling.
- The exterior brownstone and brick façade will be repaired and restored to its original style, color and condition.
- The decorative light posts and stone stairs leading to the original front entrance will also be repaired.
The new campus will include a new seasonal outdoor classroom, courtyard, and dedicated spaces for our Beat of the Street program. New handicap accessible parking will provide greater access to our programs for all members of our community.
A fully restored, thriving campus will link together many of the new developments and projects throughout the downtown area contributing to an even more vibrant community.
Help Us Reach Our Goals
Consider making a donation to support this vital work. 80 cents on every dollar will go to support the capital project and 20 cents will go to a building reserve fund. Please enter “Capital Campaign” in the Designation field when making your gift. Thank you!